Wednesday 26 September 2012

Keeping It Classy

This Saturday is Nuit Blanche. And I'm determined to make it there. 

I haven't had a lot of luck in the past. Whether it's going to the WAG- or any other venue for that matter- my celebration has always been deterred. 

There were the unfortunate times when it was full by the time of my arrival, and even by sheer determination to wait it out. Just. In. Case. Not enough people left in order to let me in. 

Other times, I've just been sick. And this is not the kind of sick that you can cover up on Cold FX. No, it's the kind of sickness that keeps you bundled up on your couch mourning and reading your friend's texts and status updates detailing how much fun they're having at Nuit Blanche. A big side-eye to whenever that happens. 

This year, however, it will be different. I'm prepared. I'm popping vitamin C, making sure I have the night off (and morning), and resting, obviously.

Well... as much as I can being a student in Creative Communications. Sigh.

Yet, what I'm terribly excited about this year is the Mad Men inspired party happening at the Manitoba Museum. I'm all about fancy dress parties. In fact I live for these kind of parties. They don't happen enough in Winnipeg, and whenever I suggest themed parties to my friends, it is largely ignored. "Hells bells!"
Betty and Don Draper in Rome
Ahem.

Anyway, ideally for this, I want to emulate Betty Draper's hair and outfit from the episode "Souvenir". It's a pretty sweet up-do, and the dress is fabulous as well. Of course I have neither the money nor the expertise to craft this look, but I'm going to try pretty damn hard regardless.

Let's hope I have enough time.

Luckily for me, though, there's the internet- my saviour. Youtube is filled with tutorials on sixties hair and makeup, and what makes these videos so useful are the variety of ways in which you can learn. For me, if I can't do one hairdo, I can go onto the next. It's amateur hairdressing at its finest, and I like to keep it classy. Not too mention reading some of the comments can be a delight for the eyes. Trolling is an art form.

For this weekend I plan to drink an Old Fashioned, or maybe just a classic gin martini... possibly more, but that's to be expected, and I'm all about authenticity. Roger Sterling understands my dilemma:



Hope to see you there!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like so much fun! Plus, I hear Old Fashions are super tasty.

    ReplyDelete