Sunday 9 September 2012

Keep Calm and Eat Cupcakes

If you don't already know, I have a severe addiction to cupcakes. I use the word "severe" like I'm pretending that this is a bad thing. That delusion, however, needs to stop because if we want to be honest with one another: cupcakes are never a bad thing.

My love for cupcakes was realized with my discovery of Cake-ology in the Exchange District. I
remember my first trip through the large black doors on Arthur Street under the magnificent sign of a two-layered white cake. Once inside I was overwhelmed by the selection, not just of cupcakes, but of cakettes and then real cakes! As I racked my brain for an occasion to buy an actual cake, I instead showed a rare act of restraint and simply bought a carrot cake cupcake. It was for the best, really.
Photo courtesy of Cake-ology

Alas, this carrot cake cupcake was amazing. Despite having a bias towards all things carrot-y, I find that sometimes people can screw up the delicate taste such as putting walnuts or pecans in the cake. In the words of the Princess Bride's Vizzini that's "inconceivable!" but people continue to do it anyway.

Cake-ology then, did it perfectly. Not to mention as a consumer (literally), you are spoiled with cream cheese icing.

I recommend anyone looking to satisfy their sweet-tooth to go there. Here's the contact link: http://www.cake-ology.ca/contact/

Now, lets get down to serious business: Cupcake Wars. This is a show on TLC and it is about people baking cupcakes to win a $10,000 grand prize. How I wish I could be a judge on this show and be able to say: "This cake made my stomach angry."

An episode during the sixth season had the competitors compete to have their cupcakes showcased at a kick off party for the game app "Angry Birds Space". Again, why am I not a part of this?

Below is a clip of the first, second and third part of this episode. And what I love about this show is the little montage at the beginning with the amazing quips about how wonderfully snotty the judges are and how much these people secretly want to flip a table on their baking partner.




What I took from this episode is: sweet or savoury? That is the question m'dears and generally I prefer my cupcakes sweet and topped with gratuitous amounts of cream cheese icing. Yum.

Photo courtesy of Delicious Cooks

What is your preference then? Sound off below or let me in on the other amazing cupcakerys, which Winnipeg has to offer!

Bloggin' at ya soon,

Becky

5 comments:

  1. Yum! Have you tried Lilac Bakery cupcakes? I think they're the best in the city, personally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have! And I have to say their Red Velvet cupcake is a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually go to the Cupcake Corner on Stradbrook because it is close to home but I will definitely have to try out Cake-ology. This could be dangerous :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum :) makes me hungry. Definitely want to check out Cake-ology now!

    ReplyDelete