Thursday 4 October 2012

HP at the DP

I'm super excited, but I'm also about to divulge how much of a nerd I am, which leaves me anxious as well. I have a lot of silly quirks: my obsession with cats, my addiction to cupcakes... but this might take the proverbial cake...

All right... Here it goes... I'm hosting a Harry Potter themed dinner party- and it's going to be amazing. In actuality, however, this shouldn't come as much of a surprise to people. You already know how much I love fancy dress parties, and this is just an extension of that.

Yet, planning the logistics of this party took more research than I had originally anticipated. First of all, most Harry Potter related foods are candies, desserts, and chocolates. So basically you can't be dieting.

And while gorging on sweets is all well and fun, there should be some substance, and yes I came to this conclusion on my own.

Toad in the Hole
So during one of my Google searches I came across a recipe called the Toad in the Hole. Funnily enough, besides the popular pub in Osborne, I had no idea it had any real significance with British culture. God, how ignorant was I? Anyway, the Toad in the Hole is basically sausages in batter, which I can guarantee you is fattening beyond belief.

Therefore it must taste amazing.

The guests for the evening are bringing the rest of the food. We're having curry (which is really popular in the UK), and for dessert a treacle tart, which is apparently Harry's favourite dessert as well (something that I wasn't aware of).

 Now onto preparations! Accio decorations!

Obviously I don't live on a secret island inside a massive castle full of chambers and secrets. It's disappointing, I know. Unfortunately I live in the suburbs, with my parents who would prefer I don't redecorate our home to look like something from the 1600s.

Easy right?
Since it's dinner though, I think a mass of candles would work around the dining area. Do you think I will have any luck in finding floating candles?

No. Probably not.

Not to mention it's a fire hazard, but I'll probably attempt it anyway. It's the pyromanic in me.

However, I could also just get my cat to stick around as decoration for a bit. I'll pay him in tuna, don't worry.

It's going to be a good night though, regardless of floating candles or hanging sheets to resemble ghosts. We'll have wine and butterbeer, well actual beer because the recipe for butterbeer sounds vomit-inducing and that's what real alcohol is for!

However, I really feel it would add to the ambience if Rupert Grint made an appearance. NBD right?

Although, I'd settle for Snape too.  







2 comments:

  1. If you're serving "toad in the hole" - you've got to serve "mushy peas" to go with it. They go together like peanut butter and jelly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I'm reading your well written posts, I read them in your voice, and that's kind of cool!

    Also, Snape should definitely approve.

    ReplyDelete