Saturday 20 October 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Last night I went to see The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

I'm a little late, it came out two weeks ago, but that didn't stop me from eagerly watching and re-watching the trailer until I did (I had to wait for a friend to finish midterms). The wait was, of course, worth it. The movie's fantastic.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is based on the book by the same name. It's about a boy, whose friend committed suicide the year before they both were supposed to have started their freshman year of high school. Charlie, the protagonist, begins high school alone, but soon after meets Sam and Patrick. Sam and Patrick are outsiders, or wallflowers, and the three of them begin hanging out and showing Patrick what life has to offer.

Logan Lerman, who plays Charlie, really surprised me in the film. It's a difficult part: there's a lot of subtly and nuanced acting needed in order to express what the character is feeling. Lerman did that, and he did that fantastically.
Courtesy of Vanity Fair: Watson, Miller, Lerman
Emma Watson and Ezra Miller were just as fantastic too. Even though Watson's accent came through a few times, it wasn't annoying. One hardly noticed within the bigger picture (ignore the pun). However, it was Miller who really stole the show. I won't be the first one to say this, it has been noted by other reviewers that Miller played Patrick to perfection.

I don't want to give anything more away, because everything in this movie counts. I recommend seeing it. I really do.

If it isn't for the terrific casting, it's for the storyline and the nostalgia it brings for high school. I felt my chest tightening remembering how excited I was to end high school and begin university. Then there's The Rocky Horror Picture Show film participation scenes- they're amazing.  And if none of this excites you, go for the music. The Smiths are prominent in the film and it's absolutely amazing. I love, love, love The Smiths and you should too.

1 comment:

  1. Love the trailer! The music is so inspiring. I think Emma Watson is such a good actress. It always amazes me how actors/actresses can hid their accents in movies. Can't wait to see this movie!

    ReplyDelete