Wednesday 10 October 2012

Nightmares, nightmares, nightmares

CreComm nightmares are common for many students' in this program. My nightmares are usually the result of an innate fear of auto-failing on assignments.
^ Need this 

These nightmares normally leave me with residual feelings of anxiety for the next few hours after I wake up, and then finally, finally, I've able to convince myself that it was, in fact, a dream.

Why I'm writing about this now, is because the one I had this past weekend took the proverbial cake in terms of horrifying pseudo reality. There was no level of Inception here- I was fully immersed in this one.

The premise of this dream had to do with a PR assignment: the Pitch Email. First of all, in my dream, I hadn't even started the assignment. Second of all, the assignment was due in less than an hour. As you can see, I was already screwed over.

The dream began with myself and Larissa, a fellow CreComm, walking up a grand staircase in Red River (makes sense) trying to find a computer lab, when I dropped my iPhone down four flights of stairs. It smashes at the bottom, of course.

However, I ignore it, which should have been my first clue it was a dream. A girl on the ground floor looks up at us, and I smile back as if my iPhone hadn't almost hit her on the head and given her a concussion.

Finally we make it to a computer lab. All the computers are taken (of course) except the one at the end, which obviously doesn't work for me. So I open my own laptop, which refuses to type out proper sentences. My pitch ends up looking like I had a two-year old type it out for me, and all the while, while this debauchery is playing out, the time is ticking away. There's only ten minutes left until class starts and I've neither finished my assignment nor woken up.

Larissa becomes exasperated with me, and I'm freaking out wondering whether I should handwrite it or not. Of course I never get around to doing it. That would have made too much sense, but what even made less sense, was thinking my PR teacher wouldn't notice me not handing it in. Hah. Hah. Hah.

Auto-fails never go unnoticed.

Eventually I woke up. However, not without feeling that I've somehow ended my CreComm career before the first semester has even ended. Even now, a few days later, I'm still reeling from this dream. You don't even want to know the nightmare I had before my Radio Style Analysis was due... Or possibly the nightmare I'm going to have in the nights leading up to the Personality Profile. It's never ending.

So the next time you see me, please wish me sweet dreams or, at least, give me some valium.

No comments:

Post a Comment