Thursday 17 January 2013

Jennifer Lawrence FTW

I have many girl crushes. Currently Jennifer Lawrence is at the top of the list. She's in two of my favourite movies from 2012: "Silver Linings Playbook" and "The Hunger Games".

The latter is another trilogy based on a book series.

Of course, I've never read the final book in "The Hunger Games". I got sick of the main character bemoaning her fate, instead of being the character I had originally enjoyed reading about. It was underwhelming, to say the least.

However, the movie more than makes up for the character's lacking in the books and that has everything to do with Jennifer Lawrence.

Lawrence received her first lead actress Academy award nomination with "Winter's Bone" in 2010. This year, it's for "Silver Linings Playbook". In SLP, she plays a young woman suffering from depression after her husband is killed. Lawrence plays the character (who's age is older than her 22 years) like an old pro. She's dry, sardonic, and vulnerable without the audience ever feeling like she's "acting". It just seems natural. Like that character has always been a part of her, much like Katniss Everdeen (Hunger Games) is another part of her.

Whenever I watch her onscreen it's hard to focus on anyone else. Even Bradley Cooper's fit physique in a tailored suit can't steal the scene away from her.

Not to mention that in real life, she's just as charismatic too. Lawrence's acceptance speech at the Golden Globes was clever. "I beat Meryl" gave me a chuckle, only because I got the reference. Apparently Lindsay Lohan did not.

Although I always side-eye celebrities who pretend to eat like we do. Aka "I always have a cheeseburger, fries, pizza, and milkshake when I go out to eat!" Yet, when Lawrence says she does, I believe her. Or maybe I'm just blinded by all the love.

Whatever the reasoning may be, I'm definitely banking on Lawrence, hoping to death she wins the Academy award for best actress this year. The girl's amazing in the film and, as a disclaimer, this isn't a slight to Jessica Chastain- because a. I'm biased, and b. I have yet to see Zero Dark Thirty.

Go, Lawrence!

2 comments:

  1. She is on the cover of the February Vanity Fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I saw that! And read the article while in line at Safeway. So good.

    ReplyDelete