Monday 7 October 2013

What did the fox say?


I’m obsessed with Howard Gossage. I adore his sense of humour, and his ability to come up with surreal promotional ideas that involve winning a kangaroo and mailing in for “pink air”.

In class, we were given the opportunity to make a Gossage-inspired ad for The Bay.

I’m also obsessed with The Bay.

However, thinking like Gossage is a lot harder than I anticipated. It’s so easy to fall into the trap of taking one of his ideas and applying it to the fit The Bay’s criteria. Therefore, I avoided Gossage-isms at all costs: no winning a kangaroo and no receiving a balloon of pink air.

My original idea was to revert back to the fur trade. However, that has a whole list of past and present negative connotations, despite it being a part of Canada’s rich history.

You’re welcome, PETA.

Instead, I thought: What did the fox say?

Well, he said nothing. He ran away.

My ad focuses on the case of the missing fox from The Bay’s coat of arms, and what the moose would do without him. I tried my best to find a vintage picture of the fox, but no such image exists unless it’s severely pixilated. Therefore, I use a modern version of the coat of arms—and luckily it still works.

Enjoy!





4 comments:

  1. I like it.. especially the use of "whereabouts"... Very Gossage
    Jeff
    (Son of Howard's Art Director, George Dippel)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have bad news for you. That "Clue-pon" thing has serious legs. If things go just slightly wrong, you could find yourself doing "Clue-pon" ads for decades. Then again, sometimes we have to face the consequences of our actions - and sometimes, well, it happens. Anguilla, for example, was de-railed by room service lamb chops. Clue-pon. How soon before we see "Got Clue-pon?" Oops. We just did. See what I mean? Dangerous minds have dangerous thoughts. Consider yourself warned.
    Bruce Bendinger - participant in The Book of Gossage.
    (copywork@aol.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the warning, Bruce. I ended up removing the "clue-pon" from the final print because it didn't work the way I intended it to.

      I'm sorry I missed this comment in November, I'm glad you found my blog and commented on it with excellent insight and advice! Thank you.

      Delete